New headphone time

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Thu Dec 22 21:16:06 CET 2022

Hey Jay,

> The fact that I regularly have lunch with the service/support chief
> means that if a music-bar member has an issue with AA headphones, I’ll
> definitely know about it and can observe/participate repair if needed.
>
> I don’t have any financial stake - funding for my work is a result of
> R&D initiatives that depend on other than retail sales.  I do also
> just happen to have a responsibility for the continued development of
> AA’s headphone firmware these days, among other things.
>
> I can tell you, as I literally walk through the assembly line and
> production facility on a regular basis, that AA make some pretty
> decent stuff, and have a high quality, superlative ethos vis a vis
> repair/service.  That’s the key factor in my recommendation, to be frank.

No worries: I'm currently listening to the demo songs of my Micro Q
through my newly acquired Hi-X65 headphones. (My setup is a bit
complicated, and my audio interface doesn't have a headphones output.)

What I can say, comparing them to my old, decrepit and probably thrown
away AKG K240M, is that they feel mechanically very solid, even down to
the little "click" when you adjust the headband. They feel comfortable,
although I should try them for several hours to make a definite assessment.

What the owner of the shop told me is that this is some former AKG staff
that decided to start over after AKG was purchased by Samsung, and lost
their edge. It sounds plausible enough.

As for comparing them to others, I've been listening through
not-quite-studio-quality headphones for too long to know what I'm
talking about. What I can tell you about these is that they can get
loud, with deep bass, very quickly: just try a demo on a Novation Super
Bass Station, which keeps resetting the volume. But they sound very
detailed, and perhaps I shouldn't worry too much about my hearing
degrading with age.

- Peter