Amiga music-making

Jammer jammer at jammer.biz
Sun Apr 17 08:46:03 CEST 2022

On 16/04/2022 21:37, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Have you tried writing a Progressive Web App? It doesn't cover everything, but you can write remarkably powerful apps in React, Angular or Vue, that run and feel like a native app.
>>
>> Of course, you'll also need to write code in JavaScript or TypeScript. There is that.

I end up working with this stack a lot. It's hell on a stick in so many
ways.

I still don't know what to make of JavaScript after all these years.

I mean, how can anyone big up a language like JS that is so "good" they
had to make another entire language/interpreter to shove between the
developer and "the code". TypeScripts very existence is a testament to
how horrible it is to work with large JS projects.

>> Sure, its ‘easy’ to write these apps. If you’re lucky they’ll still run for a year or so. Its not fun maintaining them and stopping them from falling over when some script kiddy decides he doesn’t like your politics, though. "Packages are literally remote code exec vulns in the hands of package authors."

This all day long. Fire up Node and start a *tiny* project and it'll
install hundreds of megabytes of packages. It's terrifying in so many ways.

>> I don’t think Javascript is that future-proof.  Not nearly as much as C/C++ or Swift, anyway.  But since I avoid this stack like the plague, I’d love to know best-practices for a Javascript/npm-dependent app, especially for music apps.  I think the best practices is, don’t.

Agreed. WebAssembly ...

*Jammer*