Amiga music-making

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:06:27 CEST 2022

> There are so many projects like these. A mini Amiga was only a matter of time. And it's probably going to last longer than a venerable Amiga, which is now 35 years old.

There are many “new Amiga” projects, indeed.  I could’ve just booted up an Amiga core on my ZX-UNO, but I’m opening up my retro-computing collection in May for visitors, so I am trying to put as many “easy to use” objects up front as possible.  The Amiga Mini is very, very easy to use compared to the ZX-UNO/other FPGA-based systems.

>> I know some of you are Amiga nuts - so what software do you recommend we ge t into for some old school music making?  I wanna learn as well as reach the kids about Mods and trackers, so I hope you’ll give me your sage advice on the subject..
>>
>> Im guessing PeoTracker but there are probably some overlooked gems out there?
>
> ProTracker, and if you feel up to it, OctaTracker. The latter mixes two samples on one channel, so that you can play eight channels at a time. You end up with effectively 7 bit samples, of course.

Before I got sick with COVID this week, I started a project to get ProTracker into a WHDL file so that I could boot it up on the Mini.  Not quite sorted yet, but soon… meanwhile, watching lots of ProTracker videos is fun.

> I used to use Sonic in the beginning, which is interesting because it has a software synth on board. You can draw your own waveforms with the mouse. But it's very traditional, not a tracker, in the way it represents notes. When I say "software synth", bear in mind that this was written for an Amiga 1000. Expectations should not be too high.

Ah, that’s another good one to look out for - Sonic - thanks.  The Mini can emulate up to a 1200, so lets see how it performs when I get a chance.  Thanks for the tip!

j.
—
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com