Hardware samplers

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Tue Sep 21 13:12:06 CEST 2021

Hey Andrew,

> The only reason I see to get an old hardware sampler is if all your
> other bases are covered for making music and you want something for
> color. And if that’s the case you want it as low quality as possible.
> They sound amazing and I love them but would never want to make music
> solely on them.

Colour was indeed what I was thinking.

The bases are a Wavestation SR, a Proteus 2000 with currently three ROMs
(Beat Garden, Techno Synth Construction Yard and Extreme Lead), a Micro
Q, and in a different part of the house, an AN1x and a fully-laden EX5.
The Microwave 2 is on my wish/watch list.

  As for software, there's Arturia's V Collection 6, Arturia's Pigments,
and some other stuff that I've forgotten about.

> Peter you would be better off getting a Deluge, or Digitak or MPC one
> or something. These are great for using samples as osc sound sources.
> Or an S2400 or Polyend Tracker if you want to get old school about it.
>
> Or https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
> <https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler>

I'm having trouble with the software workflow, strange as that may sound.

> https://www.inphonik.com/products/rx950-classic-ad-da-converter/
> <https://www.inphonik.com/products/rx950-classic-ad-da-converter/>

That, at least, is cheap. I'm still not quite sure how to do the whole
software effect thing, though. But hardware effects are something I
haven't considered, and probably won't consider either.

- Peter