Back after a LOOOOONG hiatus...

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Thu Feb 11 23:07:07 CET 2021

On 11 Feb 2021, at 22:19, Matt Seil <xeno6696 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also is it true that Virus hardware is dead?  I read somewhere that the
> DSPs are no longer being made.

Those DSPs are looong gone :) And the last Virus was the TI2, which is ancient tech by now…

I had some conversations with Christoph about his algos. He squeezed everything out of those DSPs with clever tricks. He really found some sweet spots to make these synths with limited DSP cycles sound great. Also, the community around the synths was able to pump out tons of great patches.

A typical filter from a modern flagship plugin synth uses more DSP power than an entire Virus...

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL