Does anybody use individual outs on synths?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Thu Aug 19 10:11:28 CEST 2021

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. It's pretty much as I expected: individual outs on
synths are nice but unused; on a drum module, they make sense.

Which means that I'm looking at a minimum of 24 analogue ins. There are
some options:

   - MOTU 24Ai (USB2 + AVB; needs snakes)
   - MOTU 16A + 828es (USB2 + TB3 + AVB)
   - Presonus Quantum 4848 (TB2 so I need a converter; needs snakes; no
   networking)
   - Considerably more expensive options

Compact ADAT A/D converters with rear panel inputs cost about the same as a
MOTU unit.

All of these would cost an amount of money that I cannot justify for the
rest of the year, so I'm not going to. As for the networking, there is the
choice of either spending a lot on Dante, or a lot on AVB switches (and it
looks to be a bit like the Betamax of audio networking), or just forget
about the whole thing, which seems the most prudent solution.

It's pretty obvious that studios have moved largely from racks to software.
My particular use case isn't a popular one.

- Peter