Does anybody use individual outs on synths?

Martin Naef mnaef at navisto.ch
Wed Aug 18 23:00:30 CEST 2021

Hi Peter

It depends. (I am sure you saw that answer coming...)

Multiple outs make sense when you use synths in multi-timbral mode and you want to process the different tracks with different effects. This is particularly useful where effects are an integral part of the sound. Where available, I had most of my synths hooked up with four outs (though not more, even if there was the option) before the recent big studio revamp. I made the secondary outputs available on the patchbay in case I needed them.

Despite having all those options available, I barely ever used that feature in the last ten years. Given the array of synthesizers both physical and virtual at my disposal, it is rare that I use more than one sound per synth. For the few exceptions I could have easily just recorded and processed the different timbres in sequence and get the same final result.

In the new setup, none of the secondary outputs are hooked up to the stageboxes that serve as digital patchbays. I still have the additional output cables from the Virus and the Nord Modular dangling in front, but I doubt I'll ever patch them in manually... In short: If you have spare inputs, sure you can hook up the extra outs from the synths. But I wouldn't (and didn't) spend any money on it.

There is one exception though: I use all the 8 outs from the Roland TD-10 drum head unit when I want to heavily tweak and process drums.

Regards
Martin