Hydra synth: first impressions

Tony Scharf tony.scharf at outlook.com
Tue Jun 16 04:25:13 CEST 2020

I’m not sure how the wave stack works, but the WaveState works like an enhanced version of the Wave Station (which is what it is).  In the case of the WaveState, you have sequence ‘lanes’ that route to Master Functions, Sample selection, Timing, Pitch, Gate and a Step sequencer.  Each can be up to 64 steps long, and they don’t need to be the same length or have the same playback (i.e. you can have some looping forward, some backwards, some doing a pendulum, etc).  I’ve only been using it at a basic level and getting fantastic results.

if you want to ‘morph’ between waves, you use the vector functions where 4 patches (each with its own complete set of wave sequence data) can be mixed using the vector stick.

The one big disappointment in the WaveState is the physical: The keyboard is crap and feels like a toy.   It does not at all do justice to the very powerful sound engine it houses.  I’ve been mainly treating mine like module and playing it from my Kronos.  Because of the WaveStation engine built into that one, it also has the vector joystick.   They map perfectly, and I have patches that make use of the switches and ribbon controller on the Kronos.   Honestly….I think Korg should have left the keyboard off the wavestate and just made a desktop module.

Im very interested in the Hydrasynth…but I’m space limited at the moment.  If that came in, something else would have to go out and I just don’t have anything at the moment I’m willing to let go of (though I could probably put a couple things in cases and store them instead).  My feeling when I played the Hydrasynth at Knobcon was that it was awesome, but I was going to wait till the software got some of the kinks out (at that point, i managed ti crash it twice during a 20 minute demo…it was only just shipping at that point).

Tony