Korg Wavestate yet?

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Mon Apr 6 14:55:15 CEST 2020

I'm almost certain to end up with one. The original Wavestation was my first "real" synth. I sold it as soon as I heard the EX version was coming out and that board I wore the keybed out of and replaced it with another EX that's still in the studio. On top of that, I currently also have two Wavestation A/Ds so I'm a believer.

I just adore the animation these things have. Not the cop show / news stinger type sequences but the vectoring with sparkles kind. Cant get enough.

The thing I'm really curious about is something I discovered when I picked up the my MKS70 from the bar (Tony HB if I remember). Gear like the Wavestation and MKS70 has a stereotypical sound, but it is also a sound informed by a particular era. On the one hand, walking through the MKS70 was an exercise in train spotting and certainly had I had it back at that time, those types of sounds are what my patches would largely have sounded like too. But, in the intervening decades, my sensibilities and tastes in sound moved it in completely different directions I love.

I'm really excited to hear where people take the Wavestate in this regard and I'm interested to hear what Tony does with his.

James