Moog Model D

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:01:11 CEST 2016

On May 25, 2016, at 3:14 PM, moron <moron at industrial.org> wrote:

> Simple.  The Moogs natively squash the crap out of everything.  Put the
> Minilogue through a DBX 266xl with compression set to max and a low
> threshold and you will get a similar sound.
>
> It's a very nice sound and easy to achieve, not sure why more of the
> analog manufacturers don't throw a compressor on their outputs.  Doing
> that instantly makes the Minilogue a 100 times more fat sounding.

Totally, in fact having analog compression and overdrive on the analog Rytm is part of what makes it great. But I still think a good amount is the way the total package of the Moog is working together. Bigger and fatter are relative terms, there's amplification etc..., but also how the components are reacting together to create harmonics and movement, there is a literal weight there that can't be ignored. Like I tried the full Roland/Malekko system 500 right before and I really don't think it would sound the same no matter what you put it through.

And again I'm talking about these reissues, I'm hearing stuff that is not in Moog's newer designs.