Re: New in Köln

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Jan 27 00:04:00 CET 2016

Op 26-1-2016 om 10:55 schreef K9 Kai Niggemann:
> I was never into Karneval, but had a hunch that in this city you can't entirely avoid it -- I never dreamed that I'd be a part of it, basically  the second month we live here... ;-)

Ah, you're probably from Prussia then? That figures. :)

For those not in the know, in Europe there are basically two kinds of
Carnival: the Burgundian tradition and the Rhineland tradition. In the
Netherlands, they celebrate both kinds: in the province of Brabant, they
have the Burgundian kind, and in Limburg (next to the German border) the
Rhineland tradition.

There are plenty of resources on the web to tell you about the
differences between the two, but one of the hallmarks of the Rhineland
tradition is wearing spoof military uniforms (Google for "Tanzmariechen"
to get an idea). They introduced this to make fun of the militaristic
Prussians - hence my joke towards Kai.

I've been to the Amiga Expo in Cologne on the 11th of November, and
you'll see clown orchestras in the railway station on that day. They
take Carnival very seriously in Cologne, as paradoxical as that may sound.

As someone who grew up a mere 30 km from NRW, we got the WDR television,
and Carnival in Mainz and Cologne were staple. I also happen to have
absolutely no problem understanding Kölsch (the local dialect, not the
beer) because it's in the same language family as my native Limburgish.
Also comes in handy if you want to understand the lyrics of BAP, such as
"Kristallnaach".

So... I think you should prepare yourself for a silly amount of fun and
good times. :)

- Peter