Denis, LePetitMartien

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Jan 25 23:57:25 CET 2016

Op 25-1-2016 om 19:56 schreef Komatos:
> Wasn't he just telling us in mid December that the worst was behind him and he was slowly recuperating? How sad. So young too.

Once you get to the stage of "promising new therapies" like
immunotherapy, that means that the regular ones didn't catch on, or at
least, not enough. Which is why I didn't go and expect him to make it,
in order not to be shocked too much when the inevitable happened.

I also believe that he didn't want to burden and worry us too much with
his troubles. Keep a brave face for those at home, that sort of thing.
In short, he was a nice guy, and advised me to have my oesophagus
checked regularly, while he was dying. I might just take him up on that.

At times like these, it sucks to be a materialist. Atheism, at least,
leaves open the possibility that there's "something", whatever that may
be. Materialism doesn't leave any space for hope. I already wrote about
that in an earlier post, about taking every day as it comes.

What's particularly sad is that the last conversation he had on the
Music Bar -apart from his last message about the dystopian nature of
some parts of Tokyo and Shanghai- was about his birthday, a mere four
days after the Paris attacks last November. While he was in such a bad
state, and desperately wanted to live, others were busy destroying
lives, including their own. Some family and friends of his friends got
killed.

It makes you realise that life is a very precious thing, and can never,
ever, be taken for granted.

- Peter