MonoPoly restoration - thus far...

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Sun Feb 14 11:24:56 CET 2016

Sexy sexy time.

Good work..

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

From: random variate [mailto:randomvariate at hotmail.co.uk]
Sent: 14 February 2016 00:44
To: Music bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Subject: MonoPoly restoration - thus far...

So,acquired a MonoPoly last year that had had some liquid spillage that had
blown the chipboard base badly,  end cheeks had been battered, couple of
missing switch caps, and two of the pots required complete replacement.

I thought I would give the full restoration a go...

pictures at this link: http://1drv.ms/1TfSM74

Got a local chippie to rough cut 18mm white birch ply end panels, which I
then sanded true.

I cut a new MDF baseboard, from a piece of salvage I saw in a garbage skip
outside a house that was undergoing renovation.

I salvaged the original front chipboard plinth, and put new realwood birch
veneer on to match the plywood end cheeks.

End cheeks are attached via screws that go in to threaded metal inserts in
baseboard. A real faff to position and drill, but best way. I still need to
countersink holes and switch to nice black hex machine screws.

Need to try and salvage the original wood rails from inside of original end
cheeks, to which the front panel screws, but they are stapled on to original
cheeks and likely gonna disintegrate. If so, will need to fashion new rails.
Fun.

The plywood cheeks and front plinth just has just has 3 coats of Danish Oil
on for now. Will see how it looks in daylight and do some tests with walnut
coloured stain, but I am quite liking the lighter look.

Let me know your thoughts on the colouring... keep it as is, maybe a clear
varnish / or maybe try a deeper colouration?

At the end of all this I need to calibrate oscillator 4, which was proving
tricky as I could not prop the original case open - which is needed as one
needs to switch back and forth to front panel to test.

I hope a stable casing will make Osc4 calibration a bit easier!

Cheers

Tim