hardware is annoying

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Mon Feb 8 00:44:26 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 1:38 AM, Jay Vaughan (ibisum) <ibisum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Feeling incredibly frustrated at the Volca boxes now.
> > Turns out they're kind of unreliable to sequence via MIDI. They all have
> erratic responses to MIDI start/stop, and most annoyingly, they all have
> different response speeds to MIDI tempo changes.
>

> Is it consistent?  Does this behavior change after you’ve done it (tempo
> changes) a few times?  Can you see if there is a difference in behavior if
> you use different tempo ratio’s - i.e. go from 100BPM to 50BPM, for
> purposes of experimentation?

Here's the random things I've worked out:

Two main issues:

* Unpredictable lag in MIDI stop/start that differs across the boxes
* Completely different response curves to MIDI tempo changes.

* The Volca Beats is the worst at all these issues
* The Volca Keys appears to be the best, but I haven't done enough
fast-attack stuff.
* If a box has a Swing control, activating it exacerbates the issue (close
to doubling? Perhaps sync drops to every second waveform?)
* Analog sync doesn't have the tempo change issues (but can't stop/start)
* The further away from the MIDI tempo the internal box tempo is the worse
the stop/start lag is.
* The faster you change MIDI tempo, the more the boxes drift from each
other and get out of phase.