El Capitan

Tony Scharf tony.scharf at outlook.com
Thu Oct 15 16:17:48 CEST 2015

>>Odd ... I upgraded my main development machine to Windows 10 on the day of release and it has been an utter pleasure the whole time.  Everything worked first time and hasn't stopped working ... at all.  Even my MOTU Traveler.
I had quite a different experience.  My work desktop took it with no problems.  My Surface Pro 3 had major driver issues afterwards with its video card and its battery life was crap until I did a full hard reset (now it runs Win 10 just fine).  My home laptop ran it great for a while...then tanked (it's an old dell past its EOL...not really surprised).  The worst was my DAW which just flat refused to install it, and then wouldn't roll back to windows 7, rendering it unusable.
Since I mainly only use cross platform software in my studio, and because I'd wanted to for years, I switched to an iMac in the studio.  Its been a pleasure so far, but I havent' made the mistake of upgrading to El Capitan (mainly because I've seen enough people who do that get burned).  My MOTU should work fine with EL Capitan, but better safe than sorry at this point.  Why upgrade if you don't have to?
>>I think one problem with the Windows world is that it relies on so many other companies and their software.
You're wrong in exactly the opposite way.  I don't think there is enough real competition at the top.  It's become perfectly acceptable for all of these companies to put out crap after crap and force their users into certain technologies (i.e. cloud) because they have simply no alternative.
Tony