Abelton's Making Music

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Fri Jun 26 02:28:55 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:03 PM, deeplfo <deeplfo at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I just got my hard copy and I found this book an incredibly good
> read.   I think the material in the book is spot on, and though they may
> have been written here or there in parts of other books or published
> material, but this collection is just what that scattered material needed.
>
> https://makingmusic.ableton.com/
>
> Those of you software guys who know of "patterns" will appreciate the
> approach this book takes, which is exactly that, i.e. identify a problem,
> identify patterns of solutions, and discuss end with additional
> observations.
>
> The pattern/solution is divided into three sections, problems of
> beginning, problems of progressingh, and problems of finishing.  This leads
> to the fact that the book can sit in your studio and treated as a cook book
> of inspiration.  Very handy.
>
> My biggest take away from the material I've look at so far is the clear
> separation between the idea-generation part and all the other parts (i.e.
> tweaking, mixing, etc.).

This has been hugely helpful for me. I now decide what kind of studio time
I'm doing, and I have a clear delineation between:

* Making music
  * Starting tracks
  * Working on tracks
* Improving technical skills

Particularly with the latter, I try to keep a short list of things that are
research or practice but are still fun to do.

Feeling *way* more productive...