Core i5 or Core i7

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Jun 15 12:47:38 CEST 2015

As a small update...

>  1) Get a bigger SSD to replace the current one: I think this one may be a
> bit slow (as SSDs go; it's a Samsung SSD 830).

Actually, the drive should be relatively fast, even though I don't have 6
GBit/s (SATA 3), only 3 GBit/s. But it turned out that AHCI was switched
off. Hmm, so what happens if I switch AHCI on in the BIOS? Blue screen of
death, that's what happens, which arguably looks rather nice in Windows
8.1. So what happens if I first fix the registry and then switch on AHCI in
the BIOS? An increase in the Passmark test for random R/W that can only be
described as "dramatic". Whether this actually translates into real-world
speed improvement remains to be seen, but it's nice to get some extra
performance out of components you've had for years.

Now I just need to figure out why some tests on the GTX 580 are way off the
mark when compared to other Passmark results with the same CPU and video
card.

- Peter