Core i5 or Core i7

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Jun 13 17:31:07 CEST 2015

Jammer schreef op 12-6-2015 om 09:36:

> The power draw on the new 9xx cards is *significantly* less than the
> previous cards.  The fans don't even turn on most of the time anymore!

That's good to know. The GTX 580 that I have is already better than the
GTX 480 (which is a bit of a dud, judging from the reviews), but it gets
a bit noisy when playing a game - especially since I leave one side
cover off the case.

The way I see this progressing is:
1) Get a bigger SSD to replace the current one: I think this one may be
a bit slow (as SSDs go; it's a Samsung SSD 830).
2) Get a GTX 980, which should set me back around €600.
3) Get a socket 1150 motherboard and either a Core i5 or i7, and 16 GB
memory.

After I win the lottery. :)

- Peter