Ableton Live - has it lost its mojo?

Tony Scharf tony.scharf at outlook.com
Mon Jun 8 17:06:32 CEST 2015

It lacks flow, for one thing.  Entering MIDI data into live is terrible.  The way they concocted to do step time entry is ludicrously bad.  "hold keys...click button...hold keys...click button"...it just is crap.   Editing the velocities of notes that overlap is similarly bad..its just very fiddly to grab the little 'lollipops' with  the mouse and know you've got the right note.
Part of my complaints is that I once used Logic and, though I don't know if it still exists, logic had the best detail edit window I'd ever seen.  You could select an note, and the tell logic to select 'all notes like this' or 'all notes exactly like this' and it would select all of them for editing.  This made it so easy to edit long streams of live MIDI data. It also had operations for thinnning or smothing controller curves that were just excellent.   Other things like proportional value editing and all sorts of tools for flipping, chopping, doubling and halfing tempo's made it a slick quick tool.
My workflow in logic with MIDI editing was so slick.  I'd have a crappy drum beat and just play some bits over it, and then use Logic's editing to break that up and make a whole song and arrangement out of it.  It was just faster for me.   Nothing has ever come close to that level of proficiency for me.
And then Apple bought Emagic.
Tony