subwoofer?

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:25:25 CEST 2015

Yea, it’s really down to the mix, you should be able to do it by method. For instance when I mix now I am very specific about where the sounds lie frequency wise, meaning I’m trying to mix properly :) So like for bass sounds, I’m usually using them for the “sound” not necessarily the actually low bass freqs. That way I can cut the sound at a certain freq to make room for the kick and then do a seperate sine wave as the sub bass that sits below the kick. It of course depends on the track, you may want the kick to be the sub, Buchla for example might be filling up the whole sound palette, including the magic frequency that makes you see Jesus.

Basically the more you can separate your sounds the greater control you can have over them. Also I say cut, which certain things you want to cut, but sometime to harsh a cut can kill the vibe of the sound, so you don’t always want to be drastic.

Unfortunately the best way to know is by experience, make mixes and then be able to test them on club systems. Also usually you want to keep your bass in the center and make sure you check you mixes in mono!