Yamaha reface

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 21:00:39 CEST 2015

> Either they know it's bs or they really have no clue. Love that they still focus on the performer but making only one workstation and countless PSR keyboards for forever have rotted their brain. Apparently they have their workers work on their own projects as an exercise, and one group made a midi controller with extra sounds, Reface was born!

Yamaha know its BS, and are betting on the punters pulling at least a few thousand of these devices into the marketplace.  The reason the MRSP is so high is because there are indeed a *ton* of layers in the brick-’n-mortar places where Yamaha are, inevitably, going to be paying sales visits and requesting cargo space.  The commission on such a piece, when it does actually sell (you never know, there are a lot of kids out there who want such a device on which to learn music..) .. well .. yeah, the Name Brand comes with a small filzokratie.

There is no other way for a Mfr than to pay the man whose last gate must be opened in order to reach the players.

Alas, it seems also to be a little bit about the sorts and kinds of people who get into making musical instruments - an expensive instrument makes it more so of an investment.  There are plenty of 200squid options out there, if what you want is a cheap way to play music.  These new “reface” thingies are a new wave of what we had with the CS1X and AN1X and so on .. and it should be no surprise to see the same core engines being re-used this way, imho.  I hope they also release a ‘rack-expander’ for this product-line, it’d be a nice followup to have a stack of them, with plain ‘ol MIDI, sitting on the desk ..

BTW, I have to point this out or else I will go mad the name.  It is, without a question, the most awful name for a product line/range, in any industry, ever.  Basically, a reface is, to me, a paint-over of some old architecture. Its something you do to an old cake, leftover pie, a recently exited apartment, and your momma in the morning when its time to get back to party mode.  Reface.  *SHUDDER*  I mean, really .. c’mon .. its just not sensible.  Manufacturers: if you have the word ‘face’ in your product name, you are not done with the product development project, specifically the ‘does it make sense at all to call our product out as basically dead fish with some spicy batter’ Department.

It is just bad aji on Yamaha’s part, imho.  I protest over these new Yamaha thingies, most of all, because of the atrocious name.

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com