Cloud Based Mastering

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Sun Nov 2 13:59:39 CET 2014

Declan Gorman schreef op 1-11-2014 2:48:
> Here is the original 320 kpbs MP3 version - Basement Jaxx -
> Unicorn (dego rmx)
> <http://play.beatport.com/contests/basement-jaxx-unicorn/5453e529b8ed746911053f8c>
>
> Here is the free LANDR 192 kbps version on SoundCloud
> <https://soundcloud.com/dego/basement-jaxx-unicorn-dego-rmx>.
>
> I like how the LANDR version sounds but let me know what you guys
> think.
>
> Declan.

Hi Declan,

Thanks for the links!

Here's what I think:

1. First you think the mastered version sounds a lot better and
more powerful than the unmasterd original. I agree with Joost
that there's quite a bit of new "openness" or "clarity" in the
new version.
2. After listening carefully for a while (headphones, too),
though, I find the sound is rather "pumped up".
3. I feel the hihat is too loud, or rather too loud in the wrong
frequency range (I also checked a frequency analyzer, which
confirmed this), and in certain places the snare feels too loud
to my ears as well.
4. Although I certainly don't think the result is very bad, I
feel, after a while, it is tiring to my ears. So it's not good
either.

5. One last thing: I think the vocals are in a different key than
the rest of the music, which - to me - sounds annoying.

As far as the remix itself is concerned: great job!

One last thought: all that blabla about mastering being some sort
of mystery art that you can only learn in a really expensive
studio with really expensive gear after years of training, is
nonsense.
Anyone with good ears and some patience can do it. Nowadays you
can buy a good software multiband compressor, EQ, and Limiter for
not too much money.
I feel that, with a bit of work, you might be able to do a better
job yourself than this "automatic mastering" . But never forget:
your ears are the most important instrument here :-)

Cheers,

--
Gert

gert van santen