Equator D8's

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 19:23:28 CEST 2014

They arrived and I have not done too much with them yet, but they seem pretty magnificent. What really struck me was the absolute clarity and almost 3d image they create in front of your face. I almost felt like I could reach out and see into the sound. Heard tons of stuff in professional tracks I know well that I have never heard before (even caught some weird edits.) Also I played with the filter in Diva for a good 10 min hearing low harmonics that I have simply never heard come out of that program. I did a quick mix test of something and when I went to my AKG’s as a quick 2nd reference the mix matched pretty well. Getting headphones/monitors to match has always been tough for me so this looks like the start of good news. Also they are fairly big but I think the coaxial design makes them smallish for an 8” speaker.

What is really interesting though is some pro tracks sound supprisingly bad, and some sound plain wonderful. Also there are some that just sound boring sonically. This is good as it seems they are really telling me the truth about the mix, and not hyping anything to make things sound better. I was worried about the bass with all of these types of speakers since most don’t go down super low (unless you go super high in $$,) but these seem good (rated at 44hz,) it’s very punchy and solid. Plus I’d rather take a clean bass than a muddy inaccurate one that appears stronger in the room. That’s another thing, they have performed wonderfully in my room so far no funky frequency problems.

Anyway I’m super happy with them they seem very trustworthy, especially for like half the price of the other guys.

They are in fact assembled in China (designed and engineered in the USA,) which is of cource part of the reason they are cheaper than the genelecs, focals etc...