Ubuntu studio

diode diodeladder at free.fr
Mon Jul 28 11:56:08 CEST 2014

Le 9 juil. 2014 à 19:28, K9 Kai Niggemann a écrit :

> so in my endeavors to get into Linux, I made some (tiny little baby) steps forward.
>
> I got myself a raspberry pi, installed Satellite CCRMA on an SD card, booted from it, connected via ssh and started up PD on the Raspberry. It felt very n00b in a very good way.
>
> Alas installing ubuntu studio on my macbook seems not so easy. I got myself an image of Ubuntu studio, burned that to DVD, booted the macbook from that, but after the initial screen (start ubuntu from CD/Install Ubuntu, etc) there is only a black screen (for about 30 minutes...) and no progress.
>
> I managed to install Ubuntu 14.04. using a VM tool (forgot the name, something open source) but that only runs inside the virtualization and it's not the studio flavor...
>
> well -- it's a bumpy ride, but I'm learning a lot of things and it's fun (because this is not a productive system (duh, evidently not very productive, right now, anyway)...;)
>
> so if anyone has any help to offer I'd be glad -- many of my search terms ("install ubuntu studio on macbook pro dual boot") are so broad that I get all sorts of results but nothing that really gets me anywhere...

Just to complete from a different point of view:

I've installed on Mac Mini and on Macbooks multiple flavours of Linux, but I've always crept back to fedora (note that CCRMA is fedora centered). I have not fiddle much on the music side yet, being on a non-musical orbit for a few years now. The cohabitation of both OS has been without glitch once rEFIt was tamed (it was bumpy at first, but stable, the manual wasn't clear enough in fact). Else rEFIt rules. :)

The drawback on macs for me is it prevents from using Applejack on startup, which is nearly the only maintenance I make. So no more double boot on my current macbook, only on very obsolete macs.

fedora is stable and up to date (and really Free, ubuntu has little troubles in this regard), and much more coherently than Ubuntu is. Now you'll have to install some stuff like codecs that are not Free, but the repos have it available once you've set up things (it's easy, forums list the repos)

Fedora comes standard with Gnome 3, which is building on the exposé metaphor to navigate and launch apps. I have not used it recently but it was rather mac-like, and imho cool. (Not a common opinion!) I'm using fedora/KDE myself on the linux PC. You can add any GUI you want, fedora can even be archeoPC like if you want or just need a very fast low CPU interface.

My 2 cents

diode
diodeladder at free.fr