Sequencer Idea

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Thu Jan 9 01:39:17 CET 2014

> How about a polyphonic step sequencer? All the features of a normal step sequencer, but runs 4/8/16x slower and has 2 extra rows of knobs. First extra row sets chord type (minor/major/suspended 7th/diminished 18th etc.). Second extra row gives chord inversions over several octaves. Outputs midi chords, 4x cv/gate chords, & 1 x cv/gate arpeggiated.

Great idea.  What sort of hardware do you think might work, like .. 8 rows of something, times 4 rows of something else?

Actually I’ve always been attracted to what I can learn from the side-effects of the GUI of ‘professional musical digital instruments’ - like, can I learn something about music just by looking at the mask of the LED, even when the cell isn’t active?  Possibly, in some cases - the BOSS DR-800, I seem to remember (or something like it) had some kind of hints of the optional modes/selections for various musical parameters as rythmn/ratios and so on .. I like this ‘hinting’ factor of these old machines, as opposed to the genericity of  16-cell LED display, but the means by which to implement musicality without resorting to expensive masks escapes me.  I think any new entrance - like the OP-1 - has to make bold moves in the interface department, and actually a lot of great progress has been made - indeed - in the OP-1 and the like.  What of a real desktop or player- synth in such kin, perhaps?

j.