Wot is yor DAW? (was: RE: OK, I Give Up)

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Wed Dec 10 23:14:38 CET 2014

On 10.12.2014, at 22:18, random variate <randomvariate at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Out of interest, what are Barians running?

I often need portability and my computer is only 50% DAW, 50% sound engine, with Max/MSP.

I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro 17" (too heavy, but 3x USB, 1x FW 800 and 1x Thunderbolt (If I ever need it). I don't use the optical drive often, but powering devices through Firewire is awesome (not possible through the FW-Thunderbolt-adapter).

Its 2,3 Ghz, with 8GB Ram and Mavericks 10.9.5

I use Logic, Live, Reaper, Audacity, Max MSP, some Max stand alones, have recently tried out Pro Tools (and like it, but don't know if it's worth the money for me). recently got Izotope Iris which I find a very creative sampler.

Recently I have been using my computer for Max or as a tape recorder, where I record a 2-3 track live session (often a feed from the mixer where I jam with the Buchla, Yocto and loads of effects (reverb, delay, phaser, distortion) and 2x hardware loopers (DL4, TimeFactor, Microgranny).

As an audio interface I use a Fireface 800 (studio) or 400 (live).

Kai