Music Industry? What industry?

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Mon Sep 16 17:29:08 CEST 2013

Op 16-9-2013 16:47, Romain / rXg schreef:
> The question I wonder of is the main reason why Gert & Tony S
> made their own label: for freedom of creativity, to stop to be
> screwed over, or to make more money (thread subject), maybe all
> of them  ?
> Also I m curious to know what is really important to focus on
> when you create a label  ?
> Thanks

Well, in our case we just wanted to do stuff ourselves, the way
WE wanted to do it. Furthermore we wanted to get rid of the
a-hole, and there was no one waiting around to give us a bag of
money so we good quit our dayjobs and start working in some
studio for a couple of months.

For us the most important reason to release music on our own
label as a band, instead of releasing it as a couple of regular
guys with synths, was the fact that we thought it would be just
cool to be able to say, "we have our own label, and it's called
Virtual Factory Records." BTW, It also looks very cool on our
artwork, with the logo and stuff :-)
We never founded an official company or attract other acts
(although we did get quite a few e-mails from people who wanted
to release their stuff on VFR :-).

We have never really thought we could get rich or earn loads  of
money with our band, although we have sold a big part of our the
CD's and DVD's, and for most of the albums, we have played even
or earned a bit of profit, enough to pay for some hotels or a
nice dinner every now and then. Also, at least 4 or 5 of our 11
albums/videos/dvd's have been reprinted

For the time being, this works for us, and it's fun :-)

--
Gert

gert van santen
www.gertvansanten.nl