Tony Scharf

Komatos komatos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 13:06:09 CEST 2013

I saw the hospital message on Twitter & thought maybe you had to take your son again. Glad to hear you're ok (for the most part). Please take care of yourself. That stress test can be stressful on the body. Had one 7-8 years ago when I was going through the GERD/IBS issues in my mid-30s.

Once we hit 40 we really have to start taking care of our bodies just to "maintain" our health. I'm trying to eat healthier, cut back on the drinking significantly, and get regular exercise. Easier said than done, though, as the motivation isn't always there. 17 years ago when I was 25 I had a high metabolism and was at my optimal weight for my height/frame build (6'0"). Now I can stand to lose 50 lbs., due to the metabolism slowing down as you get older & poor eating & drinking choices, combined with less physical activity.

Best advice I can give for people like us who work computer/office jobs is: get off your ass & move around more often. Burn off the excess fat. If you have kids (like Tony does), get out & play with them regularly. If not (like me), find the extra motivation to get out & ride bikes, jog, walk regularly, do cardio indoors, weight train at the gym, and make healthy eating a lifestyle choice. If you drink, don't do it too often. That's my issue. Too much pizza, fast food, candy, chips & beer made me change from a lean, fit person into an overweight person with a BMI on the borderline to being unhealthy. I have a family history of high blood pressure and other health issues, but up until now, my good genetics have outweighed the bad.

Must get more motivated!!!!! Both with healthy lifestyle choices & with music-making.

--komatos/wasted
home.comcast.net/~komatos
twitter.com/KomatosRecords
soundcloud.com/KomatosRecords

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 4:36 AM, Jay Vaughan <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great to hear you’re safe and sound Tony S, you had us all a little worried there for a few hours, but as you say .. better safe than sorry.
>
> Reminds me that I probably should go get my yearly exam one of these days soon, as well.  Life, eh?
>
> j.
>

>> On 17 Oct 2013, at 00:58, Tony Scharf <noisetheorem at outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you all for the kind words (even you, Peter).
>>
>> Long story short I am fine.  It turned out to be a combination of unusually low potassium levels and acid reflux disease.  They found this out after a day and a half of poking, prodding and making me run on a treadmill until I did actually wish I was dead.
>>
>> The good part about having that kind of workup done is I can be fairly certain that if there were anything really wrong they would have found it.  The also have a baseline for comparison when I have more testing done later in life.   While they didn't find anything wrong, they found a lot of little indicators that, if I act now, could prevent me from following my fathers (6 heart attacks by age 60) footsteps.
>>
>> With my father, I hit the genetic lottery for potential to develop heart disease:  I am prone to low levels of 'good' cholesterol and very prone to high blood pressure (already have that).  Thats basically why I went to the emergency room.
>>
>> Aside from being very, very tired (rest is something you just can't get in a hospital) I feel fine now.
>>
>> Thank you again,
>>
>> Tony
>>
>>> On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:39 PM, "deeplfo" <deeplfo at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tony,
>>> If you are reading this, I hope you are doing OK, as I saw your post about being in hospital.
>>>
>>> Hope that you are OK.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mohsen