AudioMulch run on Surface Pro

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Oct 12 21:49:59 CEST 2013

Op 10-10-2013 15:56, Tony Scharf schreef:

>  The Surface Pro is a full self contained system with a well
> established and mature file system that I can port stuff to as easily
> as any desktop or laptop.  But unlike the tablets of the last few
> years, they have highly improved the touch experience. It costs a lot
> more, but that is because its an actual content creation tool instead
> of one designed primarily with consumption in mind.

The thing is, though, the way I see it, Windows (and to a lesser extent,
x86) are on their way out for anything other than office applications.
It'll be around for another decade, sure (after all, that's Windows XP's
age), and you can safely buy that Surface Pro, but having a PC in the
house is becoming less and less relevant for many people. Microsoft has
been trying for the last decade to have the PC and/or the Xbox become
the media centre of the house, only to discover that (a) that didn't
work and (b) people aren't that interested in having a media centre in
their living room, if they can carry one about.

The way I see it, we're moving away from a generic, all-purpose device
(PC) to very specific devices that do certain things very well. And most
of these will be running Android, or perhaps Linux in general (such as
the Steam Machines, if they take off).

> Oh, and I can hook a mouse to it if I need to.  For some
> apps/activities, that's still just the best way to work.

Android does that, too. :) (And it's also useless for anything remotely
similar to productivity - at least for now.)

- Peter