iPad Air

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Sun Nov 3 17:47:31 CET 2013

> I'm getting increasingly into heavy duty motion graphics work that is very processor and graphics card intensive, and my 2008 Mac Pro won't run lion, let alone mavericks, so I've made the opposite choice. Thanks to some hefty educational discounting, there will be a black cylinder in my future. The iPad air didn't have to wait, and is rather lovely!

I’m looking forward to at least seeing a few Mac Pro’s like this out in the wild before I decide whats up .. to be truthful, I’m not seeing a huge need (personally) for OSX besides Xcode for iOS, so it could be my next fat upgrade, to the desktop machine, will push the Linux side of things into the same performance territory as the MacPro, only cheaper/possibly-much-more-expensive-but-open ..

> Btw, I don't know if this is still true, but the cost of signing up with Apple as a developer used to be much less than the discount on Macs you got as a developer.

Its not like you get many freebies for hardware these days, at least not out here in Europe .. but having access to new GM’s before release is sometimes quite handy, also.

I detest what Apple have done with the devtools on OSX lately, although some may say its been a long enslavement in the first place, but I guess I have not reached the last straw, quite.  Although I do note that its getting less and less important to have an actual Apple machine around for development any more, what with things like “vagrant parallels init mac-osx-10.9” around .. and of course, I am yet to see a Linux laptop as sexy as the Macbook, but the moment it happens, I’ll switch.  Ubuntu+OSX already exist side-by-side on the new machine, anyway, and Ubuntu is quite usable ..

j.