Apple: meh

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:15:38 CEST 2013

My interpretation is more, 4 or 5 design types in a small office, all working on laptops but can jump/switch to the Mac Pro to render etc... All done via fiber, preferably.

This machine is pretty perfect for me, I really wanted a mid sized tower with max power, and none of the bells and whistles really. The big thing is cost, that's gonna make or break it. What they showed was the top end model: single chip 12 core, dual amd firepro w9000 (most people have guessed.) those cards are $3000 a piece... I'm sure apple got a deal of course, especially since it seems that the gfx cards have to be proprietary for the machine. So that's probably a 6k+ machine. Apple has said a lot of "up to's," so there will be lower end configs, but dual gfx seem to be standard.

I have heard the gfx will be upgradable, most likely only through official apple channels, ie nividia makes a card for apple, like the old days.

My one concern was amd is into open cl, adobe likes cuda and nividia likes cuda. But apparently adobe is now going to support open cl, premiere already does. So yay.