Spark LE

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 00:25:22 CET 2013

Hey James

Yeah, I understand your gripe with Arturia but Spark's interface is pretty
good.  Saying this, I really don't get a fundamental interface design they
have come up with, and this pisses me off no-end, almost to the extent of
selling it:

The 35 knobs are useless!!  Sure, they control freckin stupid stuff like Pan
and Aux send (eg things that you tend to set-and-leave on a drum machine)
but, not the sound editing, which is where Arturia are experts.  I think I
have mentioned this before but, I actually use Spark with a Novation Zero
template I create - 35 KNOBS AND YOU STILL HAVE TO USE A FRICKIN MIDI
CONTROLLER TO GET AT THE SOUND EDITING!!!!  Mental!!

Saying this, I do really like it, mainly because it has a really old-school
feel to it.  I don't get this from Machine (which I also love).

Spark feels like the perfect x0x drum machine and is very different to
Maschine which has the feel of a very current/slick "Ableton Live" type
machine.  Maschine really integrates and works perfectly but, it cannot
touch Spark for sound..  As you will probably know, Spark has 3 sound
engines:

1)      Sample engine.  This is the only engine that is comparable to
Maschine and even this runs rings around Maschine in the way you can
manipulate the samples

2)      Analogue engine.  Countless pre-configured modular presets with 6
editable params each.  These are crazy mofos and have endless sonic
potential..

3)      Physical model engines.  Fewer engines than the analogue ones but
still loads.  These are designed to model real drums/instruments and sound
scarily "real".  I foolishly ignored these at first because of their "real
world" roots, however, push these where they are not supposed to go and
wonderful things happen.  I just did a little mess around track tonight,
mainly using these models - the results are very dirty sounding raw
analogue.  I'll try and post a clip over the weekend..

Gert - get one!!  It's not Maschine but, if your interests are more in a
drum synthesizer that you can take to Sodom and back, Spark is a great
purchase.  The new little version just looks like mine without the knobs and
as I have said, they are almost useless anyway..

Keep us updated..

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk