Automap

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:37:27 CEST 2012

i wrote this before but imo the small shame  with novation is the faders
which are not mechanicals and this is bad for volume/gain mixing if you
have more than 8 tracks  ...
Now days I m using  V control  for ipad combined with automap -  in logic,
V control  works with mackie control ( as automap) but  then you don t have
the problem for the faders when more than 8 tracks (ie auto reset for the
new controller selected when you are switching  banks) ...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-control-pro/id400423823?mt=8

What i don t like with V control is that you can not edit the controllers /
faders but you can use the touch feeling of the ipad to control Eq, of
course you can control all plugings and effects  .. ( it works for pro
tool, logic, cubase etc ) but yet you  can t change anything in the mapping
setting as Touch OSC does ...

In the end I think the difficulty with Total-Map-setting is the different
workflows  :  Editing/ playing / composing ( workflow1) , Mixing (
workflow2), Djing ( workflow3), etc , so it should be at least 3 dedicated
setting  . imo ...

Now with my novation and logic  is more or less a dream ...    I m using it
as a Big Remote control , using many templates dispatched through:

Automap ( partially ) -  Mackie controls - 16 Midi channels with their CC
,through the 3 midi-out , 2 midi-in. Actually the novation  is more or less
a midi-crossing-road of my Total-Midi-Map-setting in logic 9' Environment
and two other external device ( ie  : RME )...  :P

and I love the 2 lcd screens ... ;)

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Andrew Tarpinian
<andrewtarpinian at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Romain / rXg <xtechcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You should think about your configuration in many dimensions ( what you
> want to control directly and what is not needed : synths,effects , bus and
> which parameters you wanna controlled into them [preferally the same
> controllers name at the same place for the different synth so the ADSL
>  buttons for synth 1 are the same as ADSL button for synth2 in another
> template] , I don t think you want to be able to control everything, it s
> not smooth imo  ADSL and cutoff are the basics for synth  ...) logic was a
> bit an issue with learning CC ( specially to rememebr them ) but it was
> solved since logic 9 went out,
> >
> > A setting to complex is not really what I will advice for a good
> workflow cause you will end with something like Automap …1
>
> Yes, this is the key I think, not trying to make a do everything setup to
> program a synth but more playable elements. Also like elements in the same
> spots is definitely key, for instance I like to keep ASDR and filter mapped
> to the sliders where they belong… :)
>

> > I don t know if this mail will be understandable ...  but i hope it
> could help ...
> > Good luck and let us know, it interrest me how you will end …
>
> thanks Romain

Romain