!@#!@$ interview question, wtf ..

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 18 18:28:14 CEST 2012

On 17.10.2012, at 16:01, Jay Vaughan wrote:

> Had a phone interview for a major mobile hardware developer today, would be a nice job doing neat cross-platform stuff in Unity3D .. so I think I'm doing great, answering the C++ questions (virtual destructors, lol!), Android lifecycles, and so on .. then, this one, which I've heard used a million times before, but got wrong 3 times before I finally worked it out:
>
> "How many times a day does the minute and hour hand on a clock, overlap?"

At first I thought wtf?? but then, epsecially after James' story I realize that questions like this can really give you some pretty good insights into the problem solving strategies a person might employ.

After we hired two interns for projects who turned out to be total flukes (both guys, the third one a girl is really awesome!), maybe we should start thinking about questions like this to ask people before we hire them (hire=yes we pay our interns, a rare thing in theater. Badly but at least we do unlike most others...)