Cider & fermentation

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 16 15:30:05 CEST 2012

The grapes (even if sour) have plenty of sugar.  You can add sugar to boost
the alcohol content but it won’t help make it any sweeter unless you add
more than the yeast can convert.  A common problem beginning cider makers
have is they add sugar to boost the sweetness and instead boost the alcohol
content and make a considerably drier, less sweet cider.  This is typically
followed by more sugar to sweeten it which wakes up the yeast and creates
even more alcohol which makes it even drier.  If you used a champagne yeast
(a mistake in my opinion) would can end up with an extremely potent cider
this way.  You also will have overwhelmed the apples with the sugar you
added.  I recommend using an ale yeast which will stop fermenting much
earlier and leave some residual sugars.  If you prefer a sweeter cider, at
this point you can put in a yeasticide which will kill all the yeast and
then add some frozen apple juice concentrate to taste.  Works perfectly.  I
keg mine so I force carbonate it.  If you want sparkling then you can’t
nuke the yeast and will need to settle for a drier cider.

James R. Coplin

*From:* music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org [mailto:
music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] *On Behalf Of *Romain / rXg
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:41 AM
*To:* Music-bar
*Subject:* Cider & fermentation

I think if you don t add sugar you won't  get any alcohol ... But I m not a
professional of distillation I don't know how much sugar you must add..

Maybe I should do the same with the apple I got in france... Thx for the
the link this book sounds quite practical ...

I will ask from my friend in Romania to know how they do their palinka or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ţuică

Ps:cheers from France ...

On Monday, October 15, 2012, Chris Strellis wrote:

Hi Joost,

>So you add sugar? Or you just make do? :)

Always add about a kilo of sugar before adding the yeast.  The grapes aren't
particularly sweet.

Cheers

Chris

Romain