Music Class

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 5 11:18:10 CET 2012

I've done that a couple of times but for a shorter, more concentrated period, 5 hours/ day for a week.
I also have 15 years of experience in teaching so I might have some advices…

The kids that I did this with were from grades 7-9 so they were more mature regarding learning ability, abstract thinking and coordination, and most of them also had a strong music interest.

We started with some basic music theory, regarding structure, instrument roles and stuff like that by discussions and by disassembling some tracks. Then we went on to learning and understanding the basics of recording (in Cubase).

When they had enough basic skills they worked together in making a track. One year the whole group worked together, another year they formed 3 subgroups, making separate songs.

Regarding teaching in general, try to be overly clear, don't give to long instructions, divide them into smaller parts, make sure you have *everybodys* attention when giving instructions/lecturing. If they are sitting in front of computers, make sure it isn't stealing their attention when you're lecturing.

Try to make them help each other, otherwise you'll be running around like crazy in the classroom, and that hour will be over way too soon.

/Micke