BBC: Let’s Kill the Internet and Start Over

The Dong dong at f2s.com
Mon Feb 20 15:35:58 CET 2012

On 20/02/2012 07:49, perry7 at mac.com wrote:
> Do we agree?

Do you have a link to the origin of this?

I think anything that originates FROM the BBC in relation to the
internet is nothing but propaganda, because they WANT to impose a TAX on
the whole internet of the UK via forcing the ISP's to charge us all a
fixed rate on our bills, whether or not it has anything to do with
watching TV. All so the BBC can save itself from the costs of having to
coerce monies from an ever dissatisfied audience waking up to the notion
that it just might be better to start ignoring any claimed authority
that demands money through menaces and threats and imprisons more single
mums for the socially damaging crime of not paying for a TV license!!

This is the real drive.

Anyway. No. I don't believe the internet is 'dangerous' the way it is.
I get pretty much zero malicious or junk email now, without having to
install daft software on my own PC (the ISP filters 99.9% of garbage)
whilst surfing, I pickup malware or virus very, very seldomly, just by
using Firefox with a few addons. So, my PERSONAL security on my own
equipment is very good, imho. In all honesty, the internet is more
secure than my telephone is, because I get a lot more annoying and dodgy
phone calls!

What this dood might be waffling about is business and internet provider
security levels, which have NOTHING to do with any of the people that
pay for the internet (that's you and me) We are already paying for this,
both to the businesses and the ISP's which we would expect to be all
part and parcel of the costs customers already have to endure. If your
business is being attacked by cyber 'terrorism', either you are doing
something wrong to attract such attacks, in which case you should change
policy to become a nicer corporation, or invest more profits to boost
security in those areas open to abuse.

I guess if the 'internet' (such a broad term) was restructured to
ultimately protect corporations, what we would end up with is an
internet of spiralling costs to enjoy, an internet where everything you
do is logged, scrutinsed and automatic fines of penalisation are slapped
by computer systems for any breach (like swearing, political 'hate'
speech, downloading a suspected copyright item etc.)

In other words; we'd be shafted and herded into an almost 'channelized'
internet, where you are free to shop and chat on the assigned sites, but
deviate and be prepared to pay the standard threat of a level 2 £1000
fine, or suchlike threat that the BBC use willynilly already...