Cycling in the UK - what you should consider before you start

Paul Maddox yo at vacoloco.net
Fri Feb 17 21:31:19 CET 2012

> The danger is the UK is the significant amount of hostility towards
> cyclists.

I'd like to add, I cycle, I walk and I drive.

I am tired, as a pedestrian of being run over and "dinged" to get out of the way when I'm on the pavement for a cyclist. I would say this is about 50% of cyclists.

as a Cyclist, I find that as long as I'm courteous to cars (not weaving in and out, not skipping red lights, crossing at pedestrian crossing, etc) I find I have no problems, yeah you get the odd idiot, but that's the same with everything in life. I find this is about 5% of motorists.

As a motorist, I'm sick of cyclists cutting in between moving traffic, making me jump on my breaks and nearly getting rear ended, tired of them jumping lights and SICK of them cycling side by side. I would say 50% of the cyclists I see act without thinking of others.

in short, by respectful to other road users and do unto them as you would have done to yourself.
i.e be considerate and THINK.

Paul

VacoLoco
http://VacoLoco.net