Aurora

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Wed Dec 5 16:44:02 CET 2012

On 05/12/12 15:06, Paul Maddox wrote:
> Tony,
>
>     the one at 3'14 is perfectly balanced filter overdrive
>
> That's about as far as I"d use the overdrive, yes...
> But with less oscillators playing you need more (this has all four
> oscillators playing)

hehehe.... yeah... very cool with the four oscillators. actually,
listening to the final example, at 3'58, i like that one too

>     this is the ladder, right? i actually prefer it to the moog and se
>     stuff.
>
> not sure I follow, this is a Moog Ladder, yes.

yeah. all these variants are different, especially the older moog ladder
filters (i think the early ones used germanium pnp transistors) which sound
different in each instance. i've always thought you hit upon a set of
components that was particularly good, and distinctive.

> With the overdrive, I'm not overdriving the opamp before the ladder
> filter (that's still got ample headroom) but I'm actually pushing too
> much into the ladder itself, a minor difference but it certainly sounds
> nice to my ears.

makes all the difference: distortion within the filter is fundamentally
different from pre or post distortion, given some level of resonance.

Tony (HB)