New DSI Synth - Mopho x4

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 11:40:01 CEST 2012

Hi Tony/Andrew - you both expressed similar points:

> Modern synths, on the other hand, give you a wide parameter space and more parameters and
> dont protect you from noise (here is a rope, go hang yourself). I prefer to have the
> choice of hanging myself.

Etc..

I understand what you are saying but, in the case of DSI I don’t think this accounts of the fact that their sound does not grab me.  If I program a vanilla sound on the PEK using only the front panel (so very simple interface) I find the general tonal quality not of my liking.  So, nothing to do with the complexity of the interface.  I actually think DSI interfaces are very well designed and very simple, especially if you ignore the secondary facilities like the sequencer.

Conversely, if I repeat the exercise on my MKS80 using identical sound components/complexity, it is almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it..

So yes, complexity of a synth does affect the results we get out of it but, in the case of DSI, I think it has an overall tone that some people love/some people dislike..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7