And now for something completely different ..

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Thu Aug 2 14:48:34 CEST 2012

As an academic I can weigh in on this a little.  To me, these
"coincidences" are really forced.  I could go to Mall of America and take
pictures of some of these same kinds of things but that wouldn't show a
connection between the Mayans and late 20th century American retail.  The
main way to attempt to connect disparate groups together is via linguistic
and cultural similarity.  On these two grounds, the Mayan / Balinese
connection falls completely flat on its face.  The author's claims that
scholars of the past had it right and has been suppressed is wide of the
mark.  Past scholars made such claims because they did not do the
extensive cultural and linguistic research and thus made connections based
on the slimmest of evidence.  Further, these supposed superior scholars of
the past were all white, male, Europeans (incl Americans) in the age of
colonialism.  His claim that there is a current political agenda
suppressing this is hysterical to me as  the colonizer's model and view of
the world in the past was a far more powerful political force that
precisely shaped the past scholars to make these facile claims in the
first place!

James R. Coplin