Track critique invitation - Voynich - Alocrom

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 22 10:16:05 CEST 2011

Hi Chris

On 21.09.2011 11:58, Chris Strellis wrote:
> OK, I've attempted to address this but not by shortening the intro but
> by adding more interest with yet another arp.

Definitely more coherent now. I like the distortion on the arp, though I
would reduce slightly to blend better with the rest of the song yet give
a slight edge.

> OK this should be better. I added a few more embellishments, notably
> ride cymbal in the middle 16 "beautiful" section and crash cymbal in a
> transition place and the end.
>
> http://www.voynich.co.uk/mp3/Voynich_Alocrom_V1.00_mastered.mp3

Definitely more coherent now. I'd still work a little bit on the
tension. It's small things really: Like at 0:40 - don't start the arp
immediately, but leave a short pause, let that last note ring out and do
its magic before you go on.

I'd avoid fading in the toms - give them a proper start "here we are,
and there's a reason", as opposed to sneaking in through the back-door
(don't just start the loop at full volume, make a different intro sequence).

Same thing with the e-piano sound starting around 3:55. Be bold.

Martin