M@ and The Dweez'

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 11 10:08:24 CEST 2011

> 56k is a beautiful chip, but the fact that code written for it is stuck with that one chip, is not so good if you're interests (like mine) are sound and experiment, rather than selling many tens of thousands of units.

Even if you want to sell tens of thousands of units, the Mot 56k may not be the best choice, since its damned hard to get commitments for hardware units without having a huge investment somewhere, for some bean-counter to verify you as a 'valid customer'.

With ARM and its ilk, its far easier to do mass production and simply more productive in the long run.  Todays multi-core ARM SOC's are, in my opinion, totally viable as a replacement for some proprietary Mot 56k DSP package ..

> For open source, it's so painful to read even the best documented code, that the only algorithms one can usefully share are the very simplest... So, c/cpp ftw. And the ARM is the future...:)

Open source 56k DSP code?  Yeah, its a delicate subject, so much you can do right and wrong in that environment .. I was more than quite amused by much 'non open source' 56k code that I've encountered in my experience .. much to learn with so little gain.

I'm with you on the higher-level languages thing.

;
--
Jay Vaughan