Some Sunday Afternoon Dubstep for you all

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 20 19:17:51 CET 2011

The most fun part of my BA (hons) in Creative Digital Media is the
creative sound design module.

This week, we've been sampling kids toys, and making dubstep/brostep
tracks, which we'll be playing it out at a Children in Need charity
next Thursday. Not really my type of music (and a long way from the
proper dubstep that Mark makes), but delivering something with the
formulaic super-bassy 'rip your ears off' filth was a nice challenge.

Have a listen (and a download if you like) at
http://soundcloud.com/lx-nen/spellcheka

There's a tiny toy musical box, a speak and spell, a newer spelling
toy, and a few other bits and bobs in there. The reverb is from those
Valhalla things I was plugging earlier.

As part of the same project, I also made a segment entirely from
samples of a kid's toy computer, and the plug ins from Logic Express
7, at 120 bpm. We're going to assemble lots of these to make a big
track. It's a bit more experimental, and a lot easier on the ears.

http://soundcloud.com/lx-nen/h-i-p-h-o-p

Another brief from the course was simply 'make something 1 minute
long'. This is iMachine on the iPhone, and the rather wonderful
'Improvisator' VST, plus some glitch effects.

http://soundcloud.com/lx-nen/drusk-chordal

While on the subject of my sound design course, does anyone have
Django's e-maill address? I could really use a short sample of the
Large Hadron collider for my final project...

- Andy_R