NAS and media streaming

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 25 11:46:20 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

On 25 May 2011, at 10:18, Martin Naef wrote:

> In the meantime, there's a "problem" to solve where I'd like your
> feedback: For design reasons, we'd like to banish the CDs from our
> living room. The obvious solution would be to digitize all CDs, store
> them on a NAS server, and have a streaming solution in place that feeds
> the HiFi set. But which solution to get?

My setup for a few years now has been an x86 NAS (self-built, but more for nerdish reasons than technical ones) running Linux (Ubuntu Server) streaming to a Logitech Squeezebox.  The Squeezebox is connected to wired ethernet because the wireless spectrum around my house is very congested so the streaming was a bit flaky that way.  CDs are ripped to FLAC, ripping my existing CD collection was boring but bearable and adding new stuff is no problem (although I'm finding myself buying more stuff online as FLAC now and skipping CDs entirely).  Regarding the radio - I skipped a physical radio and stream stuff over the internet - that works well for me but I only really listen to BBC stuff (Radio 4 ftw).

Jonny