Linux Distro for Music

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon May 23 09:40:44 CEST 2011

> Could you perhaps advise me where would be a good place to start for
> someone like me who is mostly working with step sequencers, samples,
> soft-synths and VST effects these days?

Get Ubuntu Studio booted, and set up with your hardware - Jack drivers for whatever your sound card is, etc.  Once you get to the point where thats working, I can advise you on how to start plugging things together - there is a huge deal of potential there, but you have to wire it up yourself.  Once you've done that, though, you can see just how powerful things can be.

> I really want to write music on Linux - I just don't want the software
> to get in the way too much while I'm doing it, and that has been the
> problem for me so far.

seq24 as your MIDI sequencer, driving linuxsampler, zynaddsubfx (synth) and a few other things (hydrogen, puredata modules, etc.) all outputting audio to their own tracks in Ardour == the goal.  :)

;
--
Jay Vaughan