Alone but Together ...

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 21 14:46:16 CET 2011

On 21/03/11 13:35, Gert van Santen wrote:
> Op 21-3-2011 14:23, Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:
>> On 21/03/11 12:18, Romain / rXg wrote:
>>> But maybe people on the music bar have some experiences ??
>
>> Tell the producers to f*ck off.
>
> So what do you think of a friend or a music-bar member as a
> producer, just because you are interested in the best results for
> the music, no money involved?

I guess, what I mean is that, someone who is a great producer, like Tony
Visconti, for example, genuinely enjoys, studies and celebrates the music and
people they are working with, and I think this is absolutely necessary. In a
way, it doesn't matter in the end, if the music isn't perfect, because the
process of working with, and learning from, people you respect, have fun with,
share something of life with, will infect the music and music-making with
something more than sound.

In this respect, and in others, the music bar is a very lucky place.

The reason I get *so* annoyed by the words and practices of music-making, is
that they reduce the music to a process, and musicians are seduced by this,
because the involvement of people with money rightly gives them confidence.

However, if you don't have Tony Visconti, or Gert Van Santen available, then so
many times I've seen people "bring in" a prfoducer, to make the product sound
more polished.

And this process is complete nonsense, destroys the fun and the joy, and if
music is about anything, it's about sharing those values.

It's a fine line. You may meet a stranger who can indeed change your perspective
on music in a brilliant way.

However, the talk, the word "producer", is devalued beyond belief. I have to
talk about specific people, rather than use that word.

Sound, music, performance, is sheer delight. If those values are shared with
someone you are working with, then you will do fine, no matter what you are
doing, but it's particularly necessary to share those values, if the things you
are working at, together, mean something to you personally.

Tony (HB)