zipping a file on an FTP site

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Mar 11 08:44:43 CET 2011

> No. Zip it on your own machine (presuming you still have the original
> fie) and upload it again. FTP is just that: file transfer protocol. It
> doesn't do anything other than transferring files. The 'S' in SFTP
> simply means 'secure'.

Have a look at the 'compress' command ..

http://software-download.name/command-line-ftp/howto.html

Might work, its been a while .. I seem to remember back in the 80's there was a way to automatically .zip up files on-server using ftp remote commands.  Been a long time since I've thought about that problem, though ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan