zipping a file on an FTP site

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Mar 11 07:05:26 CET 2011

Op 11-3-2011 0:51, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> no/yes, I can sftp, not ssh to it. then I can escape to the shell and use zip? But that makes only limited sense even to me..

No. Zip it on your own machine (presuming you still have the original
fie) and upload it again. FTP is just that: file transfer protocol. It
doesn't do anything other than transferring files. The 'S' in SFTP
simply means 'secure'.

If you definitely don't have shell access (ssh, telnet or even rlogin,
but the latter is highly unlikely), then there's no way of doing this.
If you do have shell access, type 'zip -9 filename' (where 'filename' is
the name of the file you wish to zip). But a shell escape won't work:
that would escape to a shell on your own machine, not the remote one.

- Peter