256 [was New mlrv]

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 9 22:31:47 CET 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 4:43 AM, Jonny Stutters wrote:

> Cool, I'll give it another look when I get a moment.  No sign of your Monome yet I take it?

You mean this?
http://www.polaritydesign.com/photos/monome256.jpg : )

I got it a couple days ago and have been eyeball deep. I was quite familiar with most things monome having the gs64 for a few months already - but it has been a little overwhelming getting to grips with this guy. Not because of difficulty*, but because of the sheer amount you can do with it.

One thing that really takes advantage of the size, is running Stretta's obo m4l patch. You basically get a 256 button grid sequencer at your finger tips. You can put an instance on each track in live - say drum, bass, synth etc... - and when you select each track the monome updates to the correct pattern for editing. It's so weird! where normally at this size you would be doing this on a computer screen, to actually touch this large area to input notes, feels like technological evolution and devolution at the same time. Here's a couple videos of Stretta demoing it, though it does no justice to actually using it yourself.

http://vimeo.com/7788941
http://vimeo.com/7642039

Of course the more instrument type apps have really been gorgeous and smile inducing as well, specifically - straw, polygomé, press cafe, flin etc..... Have hardly gotten to the potential of mlr(v) yet. I have also been experimenting with splitter apps as well - basically splitting up the face to smaller monome quadrants to run multiple apps simultaneously - as if you had say a 128 and two 64's for example

The combo of Live+m4l+monome is really a dream come true.

*the monome community is in the middle of a big transition in the software that allows the computer to talk to the monome, going from monomeserial to the invisible serialosc. Apps need to be updated, but there are easy workarounds for now (running a monomeserial translation max patch) for the new units as they can only talk to serialosc as they have more advanced features built in such as led intensity level.